Friday, October 28, 2011

New TV Show: Grimm


Okay, if creepy stories and/or fantasy tales aren't your preferred genres, then this ain't yo thang. If you like that stuff, or are at least open to trying it, you may enjoy Grimm. I enjoyed it, and I don't like fantasy. I was not into Buffy, and Grimm is brought to you by some of those Buffy folks. (For those of you living in a cave, Buffy was a high school girl turned monster-killer. Out of necessity, of course--somebody had to save the town from all the monsters). Anywho, Nick, Grimm's protagonist, is suffering from Buffy-syndrome: he has to save the town from all the monsters.

The writing is up and down. Mostly, it's not great. The production value and the pacing, though, are quite good.  At one point, I was concerned that the burden of all this monster-killing would be too much for Nick, and he was going to need a confidant-slash-assistant. Voila! He meets a reformed Bad Wolf (nice job by Silas Weir Mitchell) who provides assistance, and a little comic relief. I was tense at times, and a little creeped-out at other times. That's a good thing. Had they run back to back episodes, I would've watched the next one. That's also a good thing.

Ya know, those Grimms compiled some pretty gnarly tales. If the show's writers dig into the real stories (not the cleaned-up versions), there is some great material there. I'd love to see what they could do with, say, One Eye, Two Eyes, and Three Eyes. That was a great story. I'd even enjoy Cinderella's stepsisters performing a little self-mutilation ( yes, they did---read the story).

So, if I happen across Grimm again, I'll definitely give it another shot.

Oh, and let me leave you with some parental advice : Don't send your six year old daughter out in a red hooded jacket. I'm just sayin'.

No comments:

Post a Comment