Friday, December 16, 2011

The Golden Globes and Other Notes....


The Golden Globes Nominees are out. Sadly, I have seen only one of the films nominated for Best Picture/Drama. I did really enjoy the one that I saw. It would be very hard not to enjoy The Help. Despite some faults, it was, in the end, a beautifully shot, well-acted, touching film. 

I did see three of the five films nominated for Best Picture/Musical or Comedy.  I didn't love Bridesmaids as much as some folks, but there were a couple of hilarious moments. Melissa McCarthy definitely gave the breakout performance of that film.  I am surprised she was not nominated.  I also saw 50/50, and enjoyed that quite a bit. Joseph Gordon-Levitt is hard not to love. But the winner for me? Midnight in Paris. I enjoyed that so much that I'd hop in an imaginary car at midnight and go see it again. As far as the best actor award in the same category (musical or comedy), I'd give it to Ryan Gosling for Crazy, Stupid, Love. He was quite awesome playing a truly yuck-o, lounge lizard for the new millennium. 

And the big nominee for me? Best Television Drama: American Horror Story. Now I am not saying that it should win (because I can't entirely argue with some critics who have called it a big ole mess), but I completely understand those who love it. This is the most entertaining, "ohshi*didthatreallyjusthappen" show on television.

Very soon I shall be seeing The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo. And, yes, despite my concerns about Daniel Craig being too good-looking and too testosterone-y to play Mikael Blomkvist, I am very, very excited.

No comments:

Post a Comment