Tuesday, August 19, 2014

Finally! Another Food Post: Let's Talk Burger Joints


Let's talk burger joints. For this 'report', I'll skip the usual fast food drive-thrus.

I tried The Habit for the first time today. Service was good.

Pros:

1. They have a teriyaki burger with grilled pineapple.
2. They have milkshakes made with real ice cream and topped with whipped cream.
3. They have tempura green beans. Nice plump ones.

Cons:

1. Bun was too dry, making it taste a tad stale. Five Guys has very delicious, fresh-tasting buns.
2. French fries are meh. French fries are better at Five Guys by a landslide.
3. Burger patty is too small.  The Little Cheeseburger at Five Guys seems more substantial.

So, for burgers and fries in general, Five Guys wins by a mile. My male counterpart agreed. However, if you have a hankering for teriyaki, a good milkshake, or tempura green beans, The Habit may warrant a visit.

I tried Roam Artisan Burgers earlier this year. Checked-out some Yelp reviews which were mostly good. The negative reviewers seemed primarily put-off by the prices, and suggested you were better-off at In 'n Out.  

My thoughts:  Yes--it's a little expensive. It's an upscale burger place in Lafayette. What were you expecting?

1. The Classic Burger: I usually enjoy over-cooked, hockey-puck, fast food burgers. However, this was a juicy, meaty burger and it was delicious.
2. The Ginger-Lime soda was GREAT. Potent flavor, which is what I like.
3. Custom Milkshake:  Salted Caramel and Coffee. WHOA. YUM.
4. Fry-fecta: mix of zucchini-onion shoe-strings, regular fries, and sweet potato fries. Very tasty.
5. Asparagus:  Fresh seasonal veggie-of-the-day. Very good. Made with lemon and some kind of Spanish cheese that I can't recall the name of. 

Bonus Points: Girl who took the order was really sweet. Place looked really clean. I would happily go again.  But I still love Five Guys, too.


I've yet to try The Counter, but that'll happen before the year is out, I suspect. Stay-tuned.



No comments:

Post a Comment