Monday, September 26, 2011

NEW BOOK REVIEW: A Traitor to Memory


When it comes to books, I don't really think I have a favorite genre. But if I did have a favorite, it wouldn't be mystery/crime stories. It's not that I don't enjoy them. They are definitely good for a relaxing, diversional activity, but they almost never make me think, "Wow that was great!"

Elizabeth George is apparently some kind of stellar mystery writer, but if I am being completely honest, I wasn't particularly impressed. It was an entertaining story, but that's about it. And if that's all your looking for, as is sometimes the case, then it's fine.

The book is around 1000 pages, which is long enough to get quite a bit of detail. Unfortunately, I found the detail got a little boring. I found myself skimming along through some paragraphs trying to find something pertinent to advancing the storyline. When you start thinking, "Blah, blah, blah, just get to the point," that is not a ringing endorsement for the writing.

On the whole, though, the plotline held my interest. It involves a very dysfunctional family with some bigtime skeletons in the closet, and I enjoyed the way the connections between the various characters eventually came to light. However, New Scotland Yard didn't fare too well here. They were sort of dull and unimpressive. In some situations, dull and unimpressive works well because it seems to more accurately reflect reality. In this genre, however, it just makes it kind of a yawn.

Bottomline: Liked it; didn't love it.

( FYI : This is not a new book. It was published in 2002)

No comments:

Post a Comment